Monday, May 13, 2013

Hand Embroidered Cuckoo Clock

I recently had the opportunity to craft a unique hand embroidered piece that I probably would have never done, if not for some outside inspiration.

I have become slightly addicted to embroidering this past year. And I will take any opportunity to put needle to fabric.

I decided to make a working cuckoo clock for an online craft swap. I bought a wood craft board at my local craft store near the clock work supplies. I picked up some generic clock hands and clock innards as well. I painted the sides of the wood board in a calypso blue.  My husband drilled a hole where I told him I needed it to be. He is awesome like that.

I embroidered on a piece of white cotton fabric, which I then sewed onto a piece of felt for support. My hubby helped me get the clock work screwed down properly through the wood and fabric. I also made a polymer clay cuckoo bird which I added to the window.

I sent it to it's recipient a few weeks ago and it is loved in it's new home. I am really happy with how it turned out. It was easier than I thought it would be, which is always a nice surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment